Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Is America Broken Beyond Repair?


As I near my 50th year I sit back in utter amazement at the condition of these United States of America today. Once the shining beacon of freedom and opportunity, we now find our country slipping into a decline unprecedented in our history. In this series of posts I will examine where we’re at as a country and just how we got ourselves into this fine mess, and don’t kid yourself it is one hell of a mess. I make my observations not from some safe and secure ivory tower of academia or the comfort of some ridiculously large mcmansion. Nope, I am just one of the masses of humanity, in fact I am what many would consider one of the really poor of that mass. Don’t have pity on me however I am doing fine and I am one of the most fortunate people alive, because I have discovered a freedom that few people will ever know.

It hasn’t always been so. I too was on the treadmill chasing the American Dream, but after a little personal enlightenment and taking a real serious look at just what the hell was going on in this country, I made a conscious decision to no longer contribute to a system not built on freedom and justice as we are taught, but on enslavement and injustice. The reality is the American Dream is a carefully disguised nightmare.

We are taught that American was founded on the principals found in the Declaration of Independence, these principles, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute a new Government, having its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to affect their Safety and Happiness. and that was the intention of some of the founders, but somehow or another, no let me be frank, because of greed and the quest for power our constitution was created in such a way that it gave an illusion of freedom. Hidden in the words and government it created are mechanisms that ensure that the power over the people will still be held by a small select few. I know these statements are harsh, and in fact there are many who will call me unpatriotic, but I can assure you I love this country as much as anyone. I admire the works of Jefferson, and Paine these were men of vision. It is their words that inspire me and if I didn’t question the direction in which this country is embarking I wouldn’t be honoring the memory of these great men. So please follow me as I take you on an unabridged journey back through our collective history to honestly understand where we have come from, where we are, and hopefully were we can be. So sit back and enjoy as I pour you a little refreshment for the mind.

The Water Bearer



No comments:

Post a Comment